Re: really tight vertical links

To: <Lizirbydavis@cs.com>
Subject: Re: really tight vertical links
From: "Gregory Dito" <g.dito@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 21:51:07 -0500
Joe,

I experienced the same thing when restoring my TR250.  And I asked the same
question to some knowledgeable people.  As long as your vertical links are
not reversed from left to right sides it is just alot of spring force
working on the trunnions and ball joints.  Putting the shocks in will pull
the spring in somewhat and loosen up the steering.

While we're on the subject, if you lubricated your brass trunnions with GL5
gear fluid before assembling them to the vertical links you may want to
remove the trunnions and use GL4.  GL5 contains reactive sulphur that is bad
for yellow metal.  Should not be used in a TR tranny where GL4 is specified
nor anywhere else I would think where brass and bronze parts are present.

Greg
CD6250L
Chapel Hill, NC