RE: look ma, no overdrive!

To: vinkg@fleishman.com
Subject: RE: look ma, no overdrive!
From: william.mcintire@wright.edu
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:10:06 -0500
Graham...My .02 worth re your trans noise. You've three possible sources (1)
the inut shaft bearing (2) the bushing in the rear of the input shaft where
the nose of the output shaft rides or (3) counter shaft (or cluster gear)
bearings. You may be able to confirm (or deny) the input/output connection by
dropping the driveshaft from the trans and turning the output shaft w/ the
trans in neutral. If it's noisy, it is probably the bushing - major tear down
to fix. Beyond that it's pull the tranny time. May be able to diagnose the
input bearing by messing with it with the trany out, but you gotta drop the
cluster to get it out...starting to look like rebuild time.
HTH
Bill
'70  6