look ma, no overdrive!

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: look ma, no overdrive!
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2003 12:19:01 -0600
 I was deep in the bowels of my 72 TR6, trying to discover why the overdrive
didn't work when I discovered the problem -- no overdrive unit!

I would guess at some point the previous OD had blown up, and rather than
replace it, some DPO merely installed the non-OD transmission extension. The
car was OD originally -- has the switch, badge and wiring.

So ... where do I find an A-type OD without a core to exchange? (It's
A-type, right, for that year? Also, is it the same A-type that's found on
some other European cars of that era -- Volvo, etc?)

Also mulling whether to buy a rebuilt tranny and OD as a unit ... existing
tranny has GREAT synchros, but is very noisy when idling in neutral.

Thoughts, o wise ones? (beyond to look under the &*^*&^*(^!   car the next
time to see if the OD is there!)

(BTW, I bought this car on E-Bay about a year ago from a small dealer ...
I'm pretty sure he didn't know the OD was missing, and he had fully
disclosed to me that the OD was not working -- ie nothing happened when he
drove it and flipped the switch.)

Graham