Flywheel general question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Flywheel general question
From: David Friedlander <forzion@maine.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 10:18:42 -0500
List;

Just pulled the flywheel on my early '74 and see the number "22"
clearly stamped near the outer edge of the face. Did I read the earlier
flywheel threads correctly? Someone said they had had their flywheel
"lightened to 16 lbs." Someone else then replied that they felt 16
pounds represented "too much weight coming off a 27 lb. flywheel."
I believe it turned out that this lister had started, in fact, with a 22
lb.
flywheel. Did the good folks at Triumph switch from a 22 to a 27 pound
stock flywheel starting with the "late '74" model?

Seems like the list feels a 22 lb wheel should go no lighter than 16 and

a 27 lb should go no lighter than say, 19 or 20 lbs (assuming no cracks
found).

Dave Friedlander
CF25194UO ('early' '74)