Differential Rebuild

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Differential Rebuild
From: Randy Sprague <atrplumber@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 17:01:23 -0800 (PST)
Getting ready for Spring,I decided  it was time to investigate the clunking in
the rear end.I had the mounting brackets rebuilt last year.My initail fear was
that the welds had broken,but upon examination,all was fine.Rotating the rear
wheel I noticed significant play before the drive shaft would rotate.The seals
also leak so it sounds like time to rebuild.I removed the unit & called
TRF,turn around time is Three months.My Bentley Manual is as intimidating as
always,but my Haynes  Manual says that if some noise can be tolerated "it is
quite possible for any do-it-yourself mechanic to successfully recondition this
unit".They do stress the need for special tool part #s101.I am tempted to do it
myself for several reasons,time,self satisfaction.Advice would be appreciated.I
have even considered taking it to a local Transmission rebuilder to see if turn
around time would be shorter,I would let them use my Bentley Manual.

Thanks