seals, gaskets and sealant

To: 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: seals, gaskets and sealant
From: webb@daikin-america.com
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 13:37:44 -0600
1. Regarding leaks from the differential, can you replace the pinion seal
without disturbing the pinion? Bentley makes it sound easy but it looks
like removing the flange will disrupt the pinion preload.
2. The differential rear cover gasket I got from Moss is paper thin - do I
need to coat both sides with sealant to prevent (OK, quit laughing, to
minimize) leaks?
3. I am replacing the intake/exhaust manifold gasket. A member of my club
coated both sides of his gasket with an "aircraft grade" liquid sealant. I
will be installing Moss's heavy duty gasket - do these gaskets work well
without sealant? I would like to avoid using the sealant if possible.

Thanks in advance!!
Pat
'74 TR6