RE: Exhaust Systems

To: "'Stephen Hanselman'" <tr6@kc4sw.com>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Exhaust Systems
From: Mark Hooper <mhooper@pix-cinema.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 11:28:32 -0500
Hi Steve:

I installed the twin stainless steel system last fall to replace my rusted
out and bellowing Ansa system. The end results are very good. I had to have
a custom Y pipe made as I have a 6:1 header installed as well.

There are definitely a few tricks to installing this correctly. A list
member from Holland (Marc Nederkoorn)set me right on what to do at the rear
of the car and I went to a good shop for the front. If you use the standard
muffler crossbar for hanging the mufflers the fitment has the mufflers 6"
too far forward. The factory recommendation calls for drilling two holes in
the boot and hanging the pipes from there. I preferred the "Dutch" approach
and built a cross bar between the frame rails at the very rear of the frame.
It was simple to do and the end result is better than the factory plan.

The end result is a very nice looking setup that rumbles nicely at idle, and
doesn't bellow too loud when driving. With the Ansa system I had to shout
just to be heard at all on the highway and it had a terrible resonance at
3000 rpm. The Falcon has no resonant point at all and you can easily
converse at highway speed with the top down.

I painted my setup flat black (except for the polished tips of course) and
it looks quite nice. I loved the look of the quad tips on the Ansa but the
Falcon actually looks more classic with the round polished pipes.

If you need some images I am sure I can capture some with a dcam for you.

Cheers,

Mark