Tranny health

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Tranny health
From: lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Thu, 20 Feb 2003 17:38:55 -0500
Hi folksI've got two used transmissions sitting on the floor of my shop (one of
them is going in the car)  The 1st transmission came out of the car I am
rebuilding and shifted fine.  No noise, vibrations, major leaks etc...  The
second transmission came out of a donor car of unknown health.  I pulled the
covers off of both.  The 1st tranny (mine) has dark but clean fluid.  No
sludge, grey slime, brass pieces (extra parts), but the second gear has a small
nick in the center of every tooth.  Every thing else looks fine and feels
tight.  The 2nd tranny is clean as a whistle.  The case looks brand new with no
external stains, the gears all look perfect, the oil is golden in color with a
brassy sheen to it.  However, there are tiny brass shavings in the fluid
(synchronizers?)  Which should I use?  The proven albeit dirty 2nd-gear nicked,
vs the unproven but better looking?  I can't afford to put money in the tranny
this year....I want OD next season.  Any comments?Joe Davis