Re: Frame interior rustproofing

To: dmallin@attglobal.net
Subject: Re: Frame interior rustproofing
From: "SHANE Ingate" <hottr6@hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:26:15 -0500
Don malling asked:

>I've gone from a frame on to a frame off restoration of my TR250.
>My frame is solid but scaly in places. No one seems to talk about how to
>clean the frame interior or what to do
>about it. I'm sure there is dust and dirt in it, but how to clean it
>out, and what to use for rust prevention?

One word:  powder-coat.

The powder-coating process requires that the frame be sand-blasted
inside and out.  This will not clean the inside of the frame to bare
metal, but it is as close as you can get.

Use compressed-air to blow all the grit and scale out.

Powder-coating will reach the interior of your frame now because
the powder is applied under pressure, but because a charge
is applied to the frame, and an opposite charge is applied to
the powder, so the powder is attracted to unprotected metal.

I've looked inside (as far as I can) the rails of my frame, and it
all looks like it was covered.  The cost for blasting and
powder-coating was $500.

If powder-coating is good enough for the legs of North Sea oil
rigs, its good enough for my garage-babied TR6.  I expect that
this car will outlive me, by a lot!

Shane Ingate, shoveling sh..... snow, in Maryland