Heavy Clutch

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Heavy Clutch
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 15 Feb 2003 12:39:34 -0800 (PST)
Response to:
E-mail message

(McDonald, John A) Date: Fri, Feb 14, 2003, 9:40am To:
6pack@autox.team.net Subject: Heavy Clutch
I was wondering if any listers out there have a sport clutch in their 6?
When my father in law helped a friend build a 72TR6, the guy slipped in
a sport clutch. The thing is VERY heavy, and my father in law wants to
replace it before handing the car over to me. My question is, could it
have done any damage to linkage or any other parts do to increased
tension? Any more wear and tear? After driving it for 2 weeks my left
leg was bigger than my right, I swear....
Thanks for any replies/help,
John McDonald
Hillsboro, OR
*********
John---City driving with a HEAVY clutch isn't much fun, and can cause
some of the sensitive parts in the stock system to give up early. (The
fork pin bolt comes to mind)  If the clutch was hard to operate only
after changing to the present one, it could be one of the racing types,
such as Tilton.  If the heaviness came only after a time of use, this
pin could already be broken, and it usually also is accompanied by a
release point right at the floor.

There is no reason to put up with this. I would recommend that the
standard package of clutch parts be installed. Check the fork pin for
wholeness when the bell housing is removed. Go with the Gunst Bearing if
you can get one, or the Koyo release bearing that is readily available.
The later is called the "Magic Clutch" by The Roadster Factory.

Dick
CF11143