Ignition wiring problem

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Ignition wiring problem
From: "Mark Chapman" <outside_turn@cox.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 22:01:12 -0800
Can anyone help with this ignition wiring diagnosis. The car is new to me as
are Triumphs in general

I think the DPO wired a new ignition switch incorrectly. It was spliced into
the other connectors. The car is a 73 but I beleive that the wiring loom is
later as is the 6 pin ignition switch. I had sporadic problems with the
ignition simply failing to engage so I 'fixed' the ignition connections i.e.
redid the connectors pretty professionally, took it for a spin and the
ignition loom caught fire in a fit of pique. Not as bad as it sounds actually
and also  it turns out that it was completely unrelated to my work , although
there was a moment.....

Seems the  "START" wire from the ignition switch goes somewhere arcane but it
still works. The red/white BIG wire which should go to the starter solenoid
was connected to the AUX/ Radio connection on the ignition and the other end
was loose near the starter.  This wire has a big female connector on it which
fits the large spade terminal on the starter. I have NO IDEA what this is
supposed to acheive as it looks to be connected directly to the battery IN
terminal. I think the R/W wire grounded when I was driving and welding
commenced.

Damage only to the ignition switch wires so I need a new one but it all still
works somehow. I removed the now defunct wire from the switch and looked
further. The START wire goes to a bridge connection to a seemingly white wire
which goes off in two directions. There is a yellow and white wire (I think)
at the Starter on the smaller of the two spade terminals and I am guessing
that it end up here. I have not traced it yet.

I have NO IDEA how the car starts as it shouldnt but it does and it runs fine.
Maybe there is a relay somewhere but the wires look awfully small......

Can anyone diagnose this for me . I can rewire the switch back to the way it
is now pretty professionally but I would dearly like to know::

1/ how the starter is starting and
2/ is the wiring correct as it looks as if the wrong wire is probably carrying
way too much current.

It really doesnt need a new loom as the wires in the main are in very good
shape.  I need a TR wiring expert who knows what should be where so I can put
it back that way.
I think I have figured out most if not all of the loom, just need a cross
check.

p.s. I think the radio wire went to the heater as well and the heater wire was
re-routed to a cigarette lighter........(Im sure this contravenes the
Strategic Arms Limitation Treaty) so I have little faith in any other reworks
or splices that I see.

Many thanks for any thoughts.

Mark Chapman
73 TR6