Greater than 9.5:1 CR

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Greater than 9.5:1 CR
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sun, 9 Feb 2003 20:50:38 -0800 (PST)
From: dmallin@attglobal.net (Don Malling) Date: Sun, Feb 9, 2003,

Don wrote..... (An enthusiast) said the unleaded gas burns much hotter,
and increasing the compression ratio beyond 9.5:1 could/would increase
the piston temperature to undesirable levels -- could damage the pistons
-- maybe warp them?
so... I'm not trying to start anything, but just have never heard that
before, and was about to go to 9.8:1 and wondered if there was general
agreement on not exceeding 9.5:1 because of combustion temperature.

Don---Earlier, I failed to answer one of the concerns regarding the part
(any) fuel plays in piston temperatures. That would be the 'lack' of it,
as in the air/fuel ratio. Too much air per part fuel can certainly do
piston damage, by overheating them. This is all part of running with a
mix that doesn't drop too far into the lean side. At least not for long.
(Can you say cutting torch?)

Dick