RE: Desktop Dyno

To: Mike Munson <fasttrs@mindspring.com>
Subject: RE: Desktop Dyno
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Dec 2002 09:59:16 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 23 Dec 2002, Mike Munson wrote:

> Bob,

Hi Mike,

> You would be doing real good to get more than 165 out of your motor with
> 11:1 and 28 mm chokes. Carillo rods IMHO won't be needed until 14:1. I
> ran stock rods up to 13.5:1 without any problems.

Kool - 13+:1 is the next, next motor. There's always a next motor.

:-)

> I think I've told you
> off list what kind of compression we have run in the past to get over
> 200 hp with 28mm chokes.

Ya, I guess you did. I do know that the national guys run pretty intense
compression ratios... but thier budgets are likely orders of magnitude
more than mine!

> IMHO desktop dyno programs are for bench racers and if you want cold
> hard figures hook the flywheel up to a real Dyno. Our real figures never
> matched up to those programs.

That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks!

> Is 90 lb/in what piper recommended for seat pressure. To clarify are you
> running 90 lb/in or 90 lb/ft seat pressure?

Whoops - my bad. 90 lb/in. The recommended pressures are less than this,
but I had the springs cryo-treated and for some reason they came out
stiffer. We just installed them as-is - it's an autocross motor and does
not see that many hours between overhauls. In the machinist's words:
"where'd you get those springs, Bob? They're pretty "stout"."

Yep - they are.

> Mike

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |