Re: Clear Powder Coat and intake Manifold

To: rsh17@msn.com
Subject: Re: Clear Powder Coat and intake Manifold
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 22 Dec 2002 15:56:37 -0500
Richard Seaton wrote:

>I've just got finished polishing my Triple intake and it looks quite nice.
>Well now I need to preserve the shine and need to know if clear powder coat
>will discolor, crack or peal with the heat which the head produces.

Powder coating alloy is a bad idea.  The alloy continues to gas throughout
its life
and over time, this will cause the powder coat to bubble and lift.   It is
better if you
leave it uncoated, and take the time to polish it once a year or so.

One of the benefits of polished alloy, it requires you to take some time and
use
some elbow grease; a mind numbing task which allows you to do a visual check
on others things that are nearby.

Shane Ingate in Maryland

PS:  Status on "Rags".  Front suspension is now bolted to the frame, along
with
the quick-ratio steering rack.  Had the trailing arms ceramic-coated chrome,
and
am awaiting the diff to be finished before bolting up the Corvair hubs.  It
will not be
too long before I mate the chassis with the body.

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/virus&xAPID=42&PS=47575&PI=7324&DI=7474&SU=
http://www.hotmail.msn.com/cgi-bin/getmsg&HL=1216hotmailtaglines_virusprotection_3mf