Re: Driving comfort

To: <Vsnively@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Driving comfort
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 13:34:35 -0800
Vic,

My friends father was a dentist and obviously did pretty well.  Other cars he
had included a DB2/4, 100/6, Jaguar Mark II 3.4, Porche 911T or E (the
tightest car I ever drove), 944 and NSX.  I am amazed by the fact that he knew
that his son let me drive, too.  It certainly was very generous of him.

I tried to get my Dad to trade in his '64 T-Bird convertible on a brand new
1966 E-Type 2+2 (he had to have four seats).  He humored me so far as to take
us on a test drive, with me jammed in the back "seat".   As we were driving
around Seattle in the E-Type the salesman asked my father what he would be
trading in.  I piped up that my Dad had a T-Bird and that Ken Miles (my hero)
got one for free from Ford Motor Company, and that Miles had recently been
killed at Riverside in a J-Car test session.  The salesman quietly said, "I
know, he was my brother."  I could hardly believe what I had heard and sure as
hell, this man looked just like Ken Miles.  His card confirmed the fact that
he was indeed his brother.  At fourteen years old, I didn't know what to say
and it really cast a pall on the rest of the test.  Dad never bought the
E-Type, and looking back, it just wasn't the car for him, nor me for that
matter, as he would have bought it with an automatic transmission, and the 2+2
just doesn't look quite right when compared with the 2-seaters.

My Dad did have his cool side as well, though.  He bought a brand new red 1964
Jeep with F-head "Hurricane" engine, three-on-the-tree, non-synchro 1st gear,
4-nobby snow tires and a white steel top.  It took finesse to drive smoothly
and he would tease me if I wasn't smooth.  I was proud that I could
double-clutch quietly into first gear and it was good preparation for the
Healey I would soon buy.  For two years before I got my driver's license I
drove that car on the gravel roads and muddy trails near our vacation
property, all the while pretending to be racing a sports car, drifting corners
on those rough roads.  I'm very lucky I never roll it.

Gary
'73