Re: Driving comfort

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Driving comfort
From: "Gary Fluke" <res0s0t7@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 8 Dec 2002 00:35:43 -0800
Richard,

My friend, who had a Healey 100/6, and I went over Snoqualmie pass in
Washington in the snow with the top down in 1969 in my Healey 3000.  Yes, we
got lots of looks, but at that time we felt that driving was serious
business and anyone who didn't understand that fact just plain didn't get
it.  Every on and off ramp was a chance to go all out on a smooth surface.
We were really gung-ho on high speed driving over back roads.  While almost
every other guy in our high school was into drag racing, we were turned on
by the whole performance package, including regular testing of our cars'
braking capabilities.  One of my friends' dad had a string of very nice
sports cars which he let us drive when we were teenagers, including a 1966
Ferrari 330GT 2+2 which, among other things, we crazily drove around Lake
Sammamish at speeds of up to 100 miles an hour.  That car was so fine to
drive. It had loads of torque, exemplified by the fact that the throttle
pedal travel was quite long and you got more oomph every bit of the way.  It
was stable at speed, kind of like an E-Type, in that you whatever speed you
were going, it always felt like you were going slower than you really were.
Looking back on our "let's race whenever we feel like it" attitude, we are
lucky to have lived through those times, or at least to not have got into
serious trouble, which should have been the case when I accidentally raced a
State Patrolman at night on I-5 until I backed-off at an indicated 100mph,
but that's another story and now I'm rambling.

Gary
'73