RE: 30 degree valve seats and 3 angle valve grid

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: 30 degree valve seats and 3 angle valve grid
From: William Whitmoyer <wwhitmoyer@samsonite.net>
Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 10:34:14 -0500
Interesting tidbit:  I was at the Wiseco piston factory a couple of weeks
ago with the local Porsche club...the tour, incidentally, was really cool
as they do Formula 1 super-alloy metal forging-I now know what the Ferrari
F1 pedal box looks like...but they mentioned that since they do the pistons
for most of the Pro Stock race teams, they can figure out what size valves
each team uses and at what angle they run them in the heads (ie not the
angle of the valve seat grind, but the angle of the whole valve) based on
the valve reliefs cut in the pistons.  Each of these teams are producing
almost the same horsepower, but they all get there with wildly different
size valves and valve angles, according to Wiseco.

Moral of the story: There is no one correct answer.  Every engine is its
own package, and without serious flowbench/dyno time with your particular
set-up, you will never really know whether a 30 degree cut or 45 degree cut
is going to make any noticeable difference.  It's great fun to plan, but
don't lose any sleep over it.  Personally, I'd be more worried about
finding a knowledgeable and skilled engine builder who could do the work
correctly, at whatever the valve grind angles you (or the builder) choose.