RE: Drive shaft

To: Stephen Hanselman <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Subject: RE: Drive shaft
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 2 Dec 2002 12:50:55 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 2 Dec 2002, Stephen Hanselman wrote:

> Reading this and having just pulled everything apart in the rear end of
> mine (see other tales of woe).

We're here for you Stephen.

:-0

> Here's a thought.  I haven't looked but can't the sliding joints on the
> half-shafts go back together in 10 or 15 different positions, from u-joint
> yoke to u-joint yoke?  This might also add some real balance , and
> therefore vibration issues.

Well, the half shafts on the rear axles are keyed, that is one spline is
much "fatter" (or is it "phatter"?) than the others. It's pretty hard to
screw these up phase-wise.

As for the prop shaft, unless you are totally inept, it's pretty hard to
mess up the phasing. The splines are an even number and all equal in size
- BUT auto mechanics 101 tells us that the u-joint mounts must be aligned
or you introduce problems to you drive line system.

Still the operative here is that you should mark the orientation of the
parts before dismantling them.

> Oh what fun we have during the winter

Def.

> Steve

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |