symantec bugbear cleaning tool

To: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: symantec bugbear cleaning tool
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@msn.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 10:11:43 -0700
Gentlemen and gentlewomen,

Based on the virus stuff going around yesterday and presumably today, I'm
emailing you all links to the Symantec website for the Bugbear virus.  I
urge everyone to download and run the Bugbear virus removal tool as a
precaution.  A list member, Dave Fain, clued me in to this site and the
potential fixes for all of us.  I run antivirus software, but still chose to
run this tool because I have read that the Bugbear virus can disable
firewalls once it's present in a computer.  Apparently, it can also
propogate itself across and through networks.  Also, one list member
mentioned that his computer virus program said that the virus coming from
the Triumph list and the 6pack list is PWS.Hooker.Trojan.  What I've read is
that the Bugbear virus drops this virus to access backdoor functions of a
computer.  So, bugbear is probably the virus we have all seen.

Symantec has a bugbear virus fix at the following website.
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.bugbear@mm.html
The link to the removal tool is near the bottom of this page.  Also, I've
included a copy of a small portion of the text from the Symantec webpage
that includes the direct link to the removal tool itself.  Either way will
get you to the same place.

<<Copied from Symantec's website>>
Removal using the W32.Bugbear@mm Removal Tool
This is the easiest way to remove this threat. Symantec Security Response
has created a W32.Bugbear@mm Removal Tool. Click here to obtain the tool.
                        <<end copy from Symantec's website>>

Prior to running the removal tool, Symantec suggests closing all programs,
and removing the computer from any network and / or internet connection.

If Bugbear is found, restart the computer, and run the fix program one more
time to ensure complete removal.

Eric Conrad
'76 TR6