Welding tips

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Welding tips
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 2002 20:01:23 -0500
I am beginning to plan the welding of my diff gusset kit. The plates are
3/16" and get welded to the front bracket.

My question is directed to the "experienced" welders with 115volt machines.
The chart with my welder says that in order to weld 3/16" mild steel, I
should be using the self-shielded (flux-core) process. They claim that MIG,
on this machine, will only handle up to 16 gauge.

What has been your experience? Should I go with the flux core or will the
MIG do the job if I make a few passes?

Sorry for being a little off topic, but your help in selecting the welder
leads me to believe that the knowledge is out there.

TIA,
Peter
'68 TR250