Re: Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing, +

To: madmax_xx@hotmail.com (Shane Ingate)
Subject: Re: Tilton hydraulic throw-out bearing, +
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 14:48:11 -0700 (PDT)
Herman's Toyota 5 speed conversion includes your choice of using a slave
cylinder to operate the throwout bearing, OR one that connects right
from the clutch master cylinder. The latter has no fork pin, (no fork!)
no clutch operating shaft.  I believe this choice does require some
adjusting as the clutch wears, as opposed to one that does this
"automatically" as we now have with the stock setup.

I like gear ratio choices that the 5 speed offers. Herman has now made
it more user friendly, by including a sliding splined shaft at the end
of the gear box. Now the prop shaft and differential doesn't have to be
removed to take out the gear box. He also machined a piece to place the
gear shift lever "normal" and the fascia support bracket and its boot
can now be used. Everything looks good. It "feels" different to shift
this gear box, but nothing one couldn't get used to.

This is a option worth considering if you now do not have an OD
transmission, or the one you now have will soon be in need of major
work.

I would NOT replace my existing tranny and clutch because of what has
plagued many of us recently with regards to the sticky clutch, or
squealing throwout bearing. I am reasonably certain that has been dealt
with when going to the Gunst bearing and bronze carrier. Last Friday,
when Charles Runyon asked me how my KOYO was holding up, I admitted that
I was now running with the Gunst. He seemed genuinely interested in this
new-found quality bearing. He asked for more information. (It sounded
like Charles hadn't known that this info had been given to his staff, by
Nelson, some time ago.)  I will direct Charles the Buckeye website  on
the "Reliable Clutch" and see if he wants to pursue this.
Personally I like using a slave cylinder, when the bearing it operates
is "reliable".

I'm still fence-sitting on whether to convert to the 5 speed.

Dick
'73, non-OD