Re: gear lube?

To: Walt Philipson <wphilipson@bigfoot.com>
Subject: Re: gear lube?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 2002 15:57:19 -0400 (EDT)
On Wed, 16 Oct 2002, Walt Philipson wrote:

> list

Yo.

> I've been told that the correct gear lube for a tr6 transmission is 80-90W
> GL4 gear lube. How critical is the GL4 rating. Can it be GL4-5-6 rated? I've
> talked to a couple shops and they use Castrol 80-90W.

GL4 is GL4. Don't use anything that is GL5. Depending on what type of
gearbox you have, you might want to use Redline MT90 or possibly MTL. I
use the MTL, it works great. If you have an overdrive, you might be better
off with the MT90.

If you use the GL5 and higher lubes, there are sulphur compounds present
in the oil that will reduce the life of the synchro rings and bushings
(again, this actualy depends on which gearbox you have). If you wanna know
how quickly the life is reduced for these components, let me just say
"fast".

There may be other brands that have GL4 oil available, but make sure that
whatever you buy is just plain GL4.

> Walt Philipson
> 74 TR6

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |