Polymer bearing coating

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Polymer bearing coating
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:33:56 -0700 (PDT)
Friday I finally got around to taking my manifolds in
to get ceramic coated at Polymer Dynamics in Houston.
The guy who helped me was restoring a Mini Cooper, so
we struck up a conversation and he gave me a tour of
their facility.

He showed me trays and trays of conrod and main
bearings being "flouropolymer" coated on the bearing
surface. The particular ones he showed me were being
done for Rousch Racing, a leading NASCAR team.
Supposedly the coating penetrates the original bearing
surface and forms an extremely durable surface.

Given the recent discussion around the alleged poor
quality of current AE Glacier bearings, I was curious
if anyone has had their bearings coated to improve
wear resistance?

Naturally this coating adds a few thou's to the
surface so your crankshaft would have to be ground
accordingly. The cost for this coating is $6.50 a
journal. NFI.

William
'74 TR6