Re: TR-6 Oil filter Spin on adapter

To: Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com>, Triumph
Subject: Re: TR-6 Oil filter Spin on adapter
From: William Maslin <cwrm4@yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 10:16:02 -0700 (PDT)
Patrick,

Good right up on oil filters and equivalents among
brands is at

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/tr6-spinon.html

An internal leak in the fuel pump (if you have a
mechanical one) can also cause fuel to enter the oil.

When I bought my car, I thought I was getting gas in
the oil based on the drips in my drip pan. Turns out I
had separate fuel and oil leaks that were mixing
together in the drip pan...

An old mechanic once showed me how to check for a
leaking fuel pump on a '65 Bug: he held his cigarette
lighter up close to the dipstick -- and it ignited due
to the fuel vapors coming out of the oil.

William
'74 TR6

--- Patrick Bitton <pbitton@axess.com> wrote:
> Hello listers,
>
> I was just wondering what type of filter I need for
> a spin on adapter. I
> read the PH 3600 is the right one and bought it from
> Canadian Tire. But when
> I went to remove the old filter, I noticed a
> different number. Is it
> possible that there were different types of
> adapters? Also, when I drained
> the old oil, I noticed a smell of gasoline. Is it
> because the mixture is not
> properly adjusted?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Patrick
>
> Ps. Happy Thanksgiving to all fellow Canadian
listers.