HS6 needles and springs

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: HS6 needles and springs
From: "Knight, James" <James.Knight@purchase.edu>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 2002 09:39:31 -0400
Walt Fogle's comment made me wonder what folks running HS6's are using for
needles and springs.  I got my set (two, not three) from TSI in Ohio about
15 years ago.  I've been pretty happy with them.  They came set up for TR6
application with springloaded needles, I think the code on them is KN.  They
are listed in the SU Carb Manual as the stock needles for Volvo 122S.  The
springs are marked with yellow paint.  More recently, I helped a friend
install a set he got from Joe Curto, which were set up with CV needles (also
used in the HD8's for Austin Healy 3000 MkIII).  I don't remember which
springs were used.  This setup also seemed to work well, maybe even better
than mine.

My engine has stock compression and cam, but is ported, polished, CCed,
combustion chambers shaped per Kasner's comp prep manual, with header and
low restriction exhaust (monza system except mufflers which I replaced with
two Dynomax mufflers because the high pitched monza drone when highway
cruising drove me nuts).  I'm still thinking about getting K&N filters.

Anyway, I'm  curious about what other possibilities have been tried and how
they worked out.

Jim Knight