Scraping noise when moving. (Brakes ??)

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Scraping noise when moving. (Brakes ??)
From: "Glen Johnson" <glen@littledevil.com.au>
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 2002 08:54:20 +1100
Hi Listers,

This morning on the way to work (in my 2500 S saloon) I heard a scraping
noise that seemed to be coming from the front left wheel.

I had this happen to me once before and I panicked and pulled over.  I
took off and the noise was still there (only whilst moving).  That time
when it happened I went to look for a parking lot and reversed into a
space.  I couldn't find anything out of place so I drove off again and
the noise was gone.

Today when it happened I thought I'd try the reverse trick just to see
if it was something that had gotten stuck somewhere and may pop out when
spinning the other way.

Someone has suggested that I have a stray piece of rock (road blue metal
stuff) that occasionally falls between the brake disc and its backing
plate.  The strange thing is that I can't see anything there.

I guess another possibility is something occasionally rubbing on the
prop shaft.

Anyone got any ideas.

P.S> The www.triumphowners.com site is going well but the people that
are listing their cars aren't putting up images of their cars for
everyone to look at.  If you know of anyone that might like to show off
their car to our club then please get them to have a look at
www.triumphowners.com and become a free site member (as opposed to a
paying member of the Triumph Owners Tasmania club).

Glen Johnson
Site Designer
TriumphOwners.com

Triumph Owners Tasmania