Re: Dangerous accelerator

To: pjgraffam@juno.com
Subject: Re: Dangerous accelerator
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Sun, 6 Oct 2002 07:32:39 -0400
Al,

Does this happen only when you're stuffing your foot into it or on easy
acceleration?

Can you make it bind in the driveway (not running)?  If so, release the
clip after the throttle crossshaft and see if you can make the pedal to
clip area bind or the clip to carb area bind.  Continue to half-split the
problem until you can narrow it to one area.  You can also separate the
carb throttle shafts to eliminate one or the other.

This kind of problem is no fun.  I had a fuel injected Plymouth Reliant
that would do this intermittently.  My wife was not happy with this
particular problem.  I started wiggling connectors in the driveway and
could induce the problem...turns out the wiring harness inside the spiral
plastic harness loom melted and fused a few wires together.  Separated
the fusion, solder, heat shrink and taped....all better.

Don't give up...something in the linkage is probably being allowed to
travel further than it should.  Having another set of knowledgeable eyes
usually helps also.

Get that thing running and drive on up to our Classic British Weekends
Event next weekend.

Good luck,
Jay Welch  Abington, MA
1971 TR6 Project, 1973 TR6 Driver
1989 Mustang GT donor car aching to be a FFR Roadster
Secretary, Cape Cod British Car Club @
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/