Re: front wheel bearings

To: td_gauthier@excite.com (Thomas Gauthier)
Subject: Re: front wheel bearings
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 10 Jun 2002 17:34:52 -0700 (PDT)
Tom---Don't you just go crazy when instructions call for "snugging up"
or "slightly loose"?  I probably run my front wheel bearings tighter
than most, but my wheels don't shake, nor do the bearings melt their
grease. If you can shake the wheel with your hands at 12 and 6 o'clock,
I'd say they're too loose. My method is  tighten the nut to where the
wheel starts to drag, when you try to spin it. Then back off the nut to
the next hole that will take a cotter pin. This works best on new
bearings and races, when one can be certain that no pitting has occured
on the rollers.

I also use a bearing packer, to be sure of grease penetration.

A side benefit of all this is that it helps keep the brake pedal from
falling so far, when next applied after making corner turns.

Dick T.
'73