I've got that same smell.

To: "6 Pack Digest" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: I've got that same smell.
From: "Gary & Natalie Erbse" <ncbucki@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2001 19:40:45 -0500
My '71 has the same oder. It has been there since I purchased the car back in
'91. It smells like heavy exhaust fumes. I really hate to carry anything in
the trunk, especially clothes. These are the things I've tried to no sucess.
1. New exhaust system.
2. Sealed all the holes in the floor and sides of the trunk.
3. Scrubbed out the trunk and painted the interior.
4. Purchased all new trunk interior liners.
5. Disconnected the fuel canister system (totally removed).
6. Sealed the exhaust system with exhaust sealer at the joints.
 All this and the smell is as strong as ever. I will check out the trunk seal
but I have my doubts on this one. Hey, at this point, I am willing to try
anything. Last week, we filled the trunk with grocries and drove just seven
miles. The smell got into the bags so bad, I hurried putting the grocries away
so the bags could be thrown out. I would really like to fix this terrible
smelly problem.  Gary