Re: U joints

To: "'6pack@autox.team.net'" <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: U joints
From: "Lumia, John" <jlumia@ball.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2001 08:43:34 -0700
Brad

Another thing, when reinstalling the u joints, make sure they have a little
axial play.  If they are too tight the u joint will wear prematurely.  One
side of the circlips holding in the cups can be ground down to make them
thinner and provide more axial play.  I found this out the hard way.
Another suggestion is to see which way the grease fitting is pointing (ie
towards the flange or towards the other u joint) prior to dissassembly, and
make sure that it is the right way.  The grease fittings on one of my half
shafts is almost impossible to get at when the car is jacked up with the
wheels hanging down because of the way the fitting is oriented.

John Lumia - 1976 TR6

 Brad wrote>>>>>>>>>>>>>

 Hi
I am in the process of cleaning up my rear drive shafts. I'm having some
trouble taking apart the u joints, in my manual it says after the circlips
are removed, then to tap on the u joints and they should come out. This
doesn't seem to be working to well, is there an easier way to get them out?
Thanx
   Brad
71 TR6