Re: Engine Rebuild

To: chaz2@gis.net (Charles Markham)
Subject: Re: Engine Rebuild
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 13 Nov 2001 18:43:46 -0800 (PST)
Charles---In regards to what's necessary to rebuild an engine that has
only 44,000 miles on it...As you already know, this number alone is not
enough to warrant disassembly as far as you already have, but time and
the non-running can be the enemy here as well. I don't really believe
that you want a complete list of every part to order. Inspection of what
you have is most important, and if you don't mind spending the money you
can replace everything that is worn out of tolerance. OR just get an
exchange complete engine, like the kind sold and guaranteed by TRF.

If you have the tools, repair manuals and the inclination, it's more fun
to do it yourself. You might want to job out some items, such as
grinding of the valves, along with new guides. Reboring of the cylinder
walls should not be necessary, but a good honing to remove any rust or
pits from the inactivity is a must.

These engines are not complicated, but like any close tolerance machine,
cleanliness and attention to detail will pay off.

If you get stuck along the way...holler. Many of us have been where you
are now at, and might be able to save you some time.

Dick Taylor
'73