RE: Rear Axle Bearing Adjust

To: 6 Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>, rmf3860@erols.com
Subject: RE: Rear Axle Bearing Adjust
From: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 07:32:53 -0500
     Bob, good question, and great timing!! I have an extra hub I was
trying to dismantle with an "experimental" puller a friend made for me.
While looking through the Bentley manual and the notes on play
"adjustment" came up, I wondered if the looseness could simply be
adjusted out of it. There's no side play or bad bearing noises, just the
end float adjustment the seems excessive. Also, I'm getting the same
click as you-left rear, especially while slowly turning to the right. I
just did all the u-joints last winter and they only have 3500 miles on
them. (oh, BTW, it's back to the drawing board for the puller
prototype...)
      TIA to you and the list for any help on this.
  Kevin Thompson
  '76 TR6
Cape Cod British Car Club

   Bob wrote:
Can I repack/adjust either the inner or outer bearings on my TR6 stub
axles, or does the entire unit have to be taken apart/separated with
special tools (what tools)? I have a little play and a rolling click on
my left wheel. Can a local machine shop do the work, or must it be done
through TRF or a local British car repair facility?

Thanks
Bob Fabie
'75 TR6