Vacuum Retard Question

To: "Triumph 6 Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vacuum Retard Question
From: "Ken Davis" <kenjdavis@home.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2001 08:21:46 -0800
hi all,  have a question on the vacuum retard on my 73.

Lately I've notice the idle is pretty rough and almost bad.  This past week
I cleaned points, plugs, did a static timing set, checked, dwell, timing at
idle with a light, and all looks good.  The mechanical advance works fine,
can watch it change as rpms go up.  I then reconnected the vacuum retard,
and the problem came back.  checked it out, at 750rpm, the timing light
indicated about 12 degrees ATDC.  So, I disconnected, plugged and ran with
it.  It runs excellently.   In CA a 73 doesn't get smogged, and I believe
the vac. retard was for smog purposes.  So, question is, am I liable to do
any damage be leaving the vacuum retard disconnected?

Thanks

Ken
So. San Francisco
73 TR6