Re: clutch pedal overhaul

To: jdhenn@cfl.rr.com (Jim Henningsen)
Subject: Re: clutch pedal overhaul
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 8 Nov 2001 12:03:38 -0800 (PST)
Jim---A few years ago I did the repair that you are facing. Before
drilling out the clutch pedal arm, I went to a store named "All American
Home Center", here in Downey. (It's similar to Home Depot, but has more
in the way of hardware.) They stocked a bronze bushing with an OD of
1/2" and an ID of 5/16".  Close enough, altho I was hoping for an OD of
7/16". Using a sharp 1/2"drill bit, the bushing was a snug fit, plus
it's sort of held in place by the MC pushrod when assembled. I did have
to cut off some of the original length of the store-bought bushing, to
match the thickness of the pedal arm. Easy enough.

A smear of white grease on the clevis pin, and it should be good for 20
more years of gear shifts.

You could also braze the original bore, and re-drill the 5/16" size for
the clevis pin. Using a bushing allows for an easier, future
replacement, should we live so long...

Dick T.
L.A.