Re: Tie rod end solutions

To: "Walter Fogle" <lbc4me@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Tie rod end solutions
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Thu, 2 Aug 2001 00:35:18 -0400
One more solution that will work great if you want to save your boots
(which the 'pickle fork' will destroy)

1. Loosen your tie rod nut to a 1/4 inch gap between the steering arm
and the nut.
2. Use a hydraulic or post jack to jack up on the tie rod nut until the
suspension is fully compressed (when the wheel just starts to lift)
3. Rap on the steering arm's forward end with a small sledge(1-2 lbs)  a
few times, and the tie rod will pop out. I NEVER fails, and the boot
remains perfect for a re-install. What you are doing is to jar the
compression joint enough to allow it to release.

Try it!

Jim