Re: Clutch diskand J OD rebuild advice needed

To: 6pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Clutch diskand J OD rebuild advice needed
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2001 09:41:48 -0700 (PDT)
Hold on a second Chuck, this may not be your clutch slipping.  It could
well be the overdrive.

A few years ago, I had a similar condition.  If I tried to take off
quickly from a stop (stock engine at the time), the engine would rev as
though the clutch was slipping.  This was usually soon followed by a
really strong odor of hypoy gear oil.  I assumed the front oil seal on
the tranny was blown, allowing hypoy to spill on the clutch.  In any
gear, if I applied too much throttle, the "clutch would slip".

However, disassembly showed that the clutch was fine.  I couldn't
figure out what was happening, until a few weeks later, at the TRF
summer party.  I engaged the overdrive in 4th gear and suddenly heard a
horrible thumping noise coming from the gearbox.  Removed the tranny
and pulled the o/d unit off, the o/d was toast!  The friction bands in
there were shot (which is why it slipped so badly) and everything else
had progressively fallen apart.  Luckily I was at TRF (great place to
break down in a TR6!!), and they had a rebuilt A type O/D in stock.
Bolted it on (that in itself is another story, what a pain in the @$$)
and everything has been fine ever since.

You see, an overdrive equipped gearbox never has a "hard" connection
all the way through from the input shaft to the output shaft.  The
friction linings in the o/d unit come into play even when the o/d is
not engaged.  Therefore, if these linings are badly worn, the gearbox
can slip in any gear if enough power is introduced.  With 170hp on tap,
and in a racing environment, this could be what you are experiencing.

Tim Holbrook
1971 TR6

http://phonecard.yahoo.com/