Re: TOB

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TOB
From: jay_welch@juno.com
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 19:14:45 -0400
Ryan, Mitch, Jay and Dick,

For what it's worth, I took these measurements of the 3 "original" T/O
bearings in the loft and the new Toyota Land Cruiser bearing before I
installed.  Thought someone could use them.

Brand   Country         Stamped #       OD      ID      Depth           Depth
w/sleeve  Type

RHP     England         14/W21/16       3.375"  2.062"    .910"         1.905"
        Open
Nachi   Japan           052TRBC09-7     3.628"  2.059"  1.020"          2.050"
        Sealed

RHP apears to be the original Triumph bearing or the prevalent
aftermarket replacement.  Nachi is the 1975 to 1986 Toyota FJ60
Landcruiser bearing - Totota part# 90363-52001 - dealer cost is $65.
Presses onto the existing TR6 bearing sleeve. I put the sleeve in the
freezer for a while before installing and it slipped on quite easily with
a very slight tap.  The Toyota bearing (bought at a Toyota dealer) is a
very beefy, sealed type of bearing and I'd be surprised to see it wear
out even with the heavier Borg and Beck setup.

My clutch works fine and the release point off the floor is ok but
sometimes it just seems that you have to be very conscious of getting the
clutch right to the floor and rpms just right before a 1 to 2 shift (it
definitely doesn't like a 1-2 power shift).  I might be being too picky
or I might have an intermittent problem in the gearbox that I am not
aware of.  I am a little suspicious of the red clutch pipe though with
the added pressure of the Borg and Beck.  I will be checking that
tomorrow when I have an assistant available. I'll report my findings if
you like.

Sound of a bad T/O bearing? I would go for the grumbling/growling sound -
probably different depending on brand and type of manufacture but you
should know it when it goes.  When you start to hear it you should have
plenty of time before it is critical to replace.  I have an intermittent
whistling but I think it is my pilot bush spinning in the flywheel.
Doesn't happen often and I can live with it.  I'll probably pull the
gearbox in the winter and install a new one with a little knurl on it to
keep it from spinning. I'll report in the spring how that works.  The
bathroom should be done by then... :-)  It sounds like the BPNW setup is
a little on the stiff side also.

Oh well, keep an eye on the thrust washers, keep your foot off the clutch
at lights, check the red pipe for expansion, watch for egging of the
clutch rod holes and clevis pins, bolt the clutch fork to the cross
shaft, install long bronze cross shaft bushings, change the fluid every
year and use a greasable clutch cross shaft.  You know guys......this is
why we love these things.  This is one area where most women don't
understand men and who can blame them :-)

Good luck,
Jay Welch - Abington, MA
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1971 TR6 project and 1973 TR6 driver coming out of a coma soon

On Fri, 27 Jul 2001 12:40:27 -0700 RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov writes:
> Does anyone know who is manufacturing the standard TO Bearing?
> I don't remember what brand or type that was installed on my car but
> do know that it was Japanese. THe other components are the B&B p/p
> and
> the Sachs c/p. Someone brought up the sound of a sick TOB - to me it
> is
> more of a whining-whirring sound when the pedal is depressed. Mine
> hasn't started growling yet but am going to have it fixed before it
> does.
> Cheers,
> Ryan
> 6/71 Sapphire
> San Francisco
>

> >Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 12:00:42 -0700 (PDT)
> >From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
> >Subject: Re: smooth ride, clutch stuff>
>
> >The stock-grade throwout bearings have been complete junk for the
> past
> >few years.  No matter how you press them onto the sleeves, they
> fall
> >apart in just a few thousand miles, if that.  I went through 4 t/o
> >bearings in a few months during 1997, and finally put in one of the
> >heavy-duty bearings made for Toyota Land Cruiser.  Haven't had a
> >problem since.  TRF sells this bearing as part of their "magic
> clutch"
> >kit with Sachs components (probably the same part that your
> mechanic is
> >using).  Several TR parts suppliers are selling this kit.  I would
> >caution anyone who needs to replace a t/o bearing, don't use the
> >standard grade bearings.  I have heard nothing but complaints, and
> had
> >several problems myself.
> >
> >Tim Holbrook
> >1971 TR6

Thanks,
Jay Welch - Abington, MA
Member "Cape Cod British Car Club"
http://clubs.hemmings.com/capecodbritish/
1971 TR6 project and 1973 TR6 driver getting closer to the street