smooth ride, clutch stuff

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: smooth ride, clutch stuff
From: RPVanLuchene@lbl.gov
Date: Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:17:58 -0700
Well I got my car back the other day and the car drives
beautifully. Immediately noticed it as I drove away from the shop and
onto the Bay Bridge. It is amazing how tight it feels. THe tube
conversion kit was the one-piece bracket type with KYB gas shocks. I
also had new inner U joints put in and new diff mounts installed. Up
front I got new shocks and new upper ball joints. Along with my recently
restored wheels with new Coker redlines, the car is one smooth ride,
with perfect stiffness. I don't know how I have gone this long with my
old worn-out setup - I guess I diddnt know what a "right" car was
supposed to feel like -

I'm also still having clutch disengagement problems and talked
to the mechanic about it. He's been working on TR's for 30 years and
never had a problem with TR clutches until recently, about the last 2-3
years. The throw out bearings have been bad - he said he talked to
someone at TRF about it and they told him he was intalling the TO
bearing into the sleeve incorrectly (he uses wood to do this I think)
he said well OK you guys put the bearing in the sleeve your way
and send it to me and he'll install it in a car. Well the bearing ended
up failing and they wouldnt take it back! I told him someone needs to
talk to the manufacturer about this, b/c I know of a lotta others who
are having the same problems. More recently he has been using
a Japanese TO bearing made by a company called AP with a Sachs pressure
plate and standard or Sachs clutch plate. It seems to have been working
well for his other customers.
I'm going to try it out in a few weeks - hopefully this will be a solid
fix. Will update the list more on this as it progresses.
I hope to have it finished before the Monterey weekend. I plan on going
to the Concorso Italiano and maybe some of the races.

Cheers,

Ryan
6/71 Sapphire