Re: roll bar

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: roll bar
From: "Shane Ingate" <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2001 18:32:33 -0400
russell furzer asked about roll bars.

Several of the vendors sell a roll bar made by AutoPower who
work out of San diego (which is not of much help to you in Oz).
This simple hoop fits under the soft and factory hard tops.

However, it is just a cosmetic fixture, and its real value is
questionable.

You should consult your loacl racing authorities to see what standards
they require.  SCCA here in the US have very exacting requirements
concerning thickness of the metal in the tube and composition,
welds, number of points, height/width, etc.

As a minimum, it should be a 3-point bar, welded or bolted to the chassis
(not sheet metal work as do most cosmetic hoops).  If
it is bolted to the chassis, this may not pass scrutineering by a lot
of competition bodies.

Having said all of that, I have a cosmetic hoop which I have gone to
great pains to make it a little safer.  I did weld in a thris tie
which runs forward to the passenger side and bolts to plates that I
welded on the floor panel.  Similarly, the rear points are also bolted
to plates that are welded to the sheet metal.  I also welded in
a cross piece that holds the shoulder starps of a 5-point harness,
and also a diagonal that runs from behind my head down to the
rear-most tie.  Whew!  But is it safe?  Dunno, and I dont want to
find out the hard way!

Shane Ingate