9.5:1 compression

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: 9.5:1 compression
From: Ryan Miles <rjhmile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 13:26:56 -0700 (PDT)
 I went through all this fun compression stuff when I
built my engine last year, and here's what I decided
to do. I talked to Richard Good in Pa. about camshafts
and compression, and I was not INCREDIBLY concerened
with fitting my compression ratio to a "T". Richard
told me that when he reworked a previously "uncut"
head to 9.6:1 compression, the overall thickness of
the head (with no grinding or modification of the
chamber) was close to 3.400" (very close to the number
that DT gave for 9.5:1). So I decided to take a chance
and have the head shaved to 3.400" overall. It works
and runs on pump gas, but I have not checked the
compression to see what kind of a ratio I actually
ended up with. Also, I bought a set of cromoly push
rods from Richard, and I have pleanty of valve
adjustment left. P.S. DON'T buy lifters (cam
followers) from the roadster factory. The set I got
from them was all chipped up, and looked worse than my
25 year old used lifters.

Ryan Miles
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/