Engine Rebuild

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine Rebuild
From: "Dan H. Detweiler" <dandet@alltel.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2001 10:02:54 -0400
Hi folks,

I was just told by a fairly well known engine man in the Atlanta area that all
British engines need to have the cylinders bored out and oversized pistons
made for them when they are rebuilt. He stated to me that the cylinder walls
are a soft metal and that they almost always have worn almost as quickly as
the piston rings. He said that if this is not done that the engine will start
burning oil within 6 months. I can't tell the amount of wear on my engine
because I STILL can not get the head removed. He suggested welding the
remaining nuts to their studs and giving them a good rap to try to break the
crud that he felt had probably gathered around the stud and then baked on by
the heat of the manifold effectively sealing the studs to the head.

Can anyone PLEASE shed some light on this for me. Having oversized pistons
manufactured was not on my list for this rebuild if possible.

Thanks in advance.

Dan H. Detweiler
"70 TR6 CC51639