Re: TR6 transmission leaks (long)

To: "6 Pack List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 transmission leaks (long)
From: vze2846b <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 21:12:15 -0400
Jim,

I did this job last Fall and it wasn't too bad.  You will have to pull
off the top cover of the trans.
I purchased an 8-point 5/16" socket from Sears to get the wedgloc bolts
out of the shifter rods.  They came out pretty easily.  The disassembly
instructions in Bentley's are good.
Once I removed the rods and the plate that covers the o-rings, I found
that the recess for each o-ring was way too deep.  I compensated for that
by using 2 o-rings on each rod.
I haven't put many miles on the trans but so far, so good.

FWIW
Peter Macholdt
'68 TR250 overdrive

>I've been chasing down transmission leaks from one of my 75 TR6s
>(CF38690UO) and have been eliminating them one by one. First was an
>obvious leak from the speedo drive; replaced the two O ring seals. Then
>an obvious leak from the o/d inspection plate; removed plate, cleaned
>filter, replaced plate with new gasket. At this point I thought I had it
>sealed and replaced the interior. Big mistake, great driving in some
>beautiful spring weather though. Still leaking a bit and the smell of
>Redline MTL burning off the exhaust was bad enough to cause me to remove
>the interior. Went to a friend with a lift, raised the car, sprayed the
>underside of the transmission with brake parts cleaner, dried then ran
>the car in 3rd gear for a while. Fluid coming from the studs that bolt
>the rear o/d extension to the o/d; remove nuts, clean, and apply sealant
>to threads and tighten back up to spec. Now I've got it for sure! But
>no, replace cover and install seat to go for a victory lap and still a
>smell of burning MTL. The final leak was discovered to be from the
>selector shaft sealing rings! Has anyone ever had a leak from this area?
>TRF has them at about a buck a piece, but God, I really don't want to
>pull that top cover and go through a rebuild. Anyone BTDT?
>Comments, suggestions appreciated,
>Jim Davis
>Fortson, GA
>CF38690UO (leaky)