Re: Thermostats and low temperature

To: cnlduckwor@mindspring.com (Charlie and Linda Duckworth)
Subject: Re: Thermostats and low temperature
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 23:25:32 -0700 (PDT)
Charlie---You could stick a thermometer in the radiator neck to see if
the coolant shows differently than the dash gauge. Close as I can tell,
the center hash mark is about 170 deg. Take it from there.
There is at least three different ratings on thermostats that fit our
engine.  165, 180 and 195 deg.  If your engine is really running as cold
as the gauge indicates, go with the 195.  When I know that I'm going to
be in cold climates for a long time (below freezing) I block the bottom
half of the radiator with a piece of cardboard.

You're right about engine efficiency being lower when 'cool'.

DT
'73