Re: Running Rich

To: Trsx69@aol.com
Subject: Re: Running Rich
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2001 15:17:15 -0700 (PDT)
Jim---You are one of my favorite Triumph owners (four or more?) and as
such I must comment on your beliefs on the SplitFire spark plug.  First,
it is a mis-conception that these plugs have any 'magic' built into its
design. I wish I were clever enough to have come up with the idea that
people would pay $5 ea. for these.  Having a 'split' ground terminal
only means that the (single) spark from the plug wire(s) will fire on
the side of LEAST resistance. (It really doesn't ricochet around in
what's supposed to look like one engine cycle, as seen on TV ads.) The
intensity of the spark is created in other areas of the ignition system.

You are free to disagree with any of this, of course.  So far as "holes
being burned in piston tops" this is almost always caused from a lean
fuel mix.  What you may have witnessed (or have been told) is someone
experimenting with his engine, burned his pistons, and happened to also
have been using the SplitFires. Respectfully,

Dick Taylor