Speedo Gem

To: "J. Campbell" <jcampbell@bellsouth.net>, 6 pack
Subject: Speedo Gem
From: "Bernard Robbins, NEC New Zealand Ltd" <brobbins@wlg.nec.co.nz>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 12:04:56 +1200
Hi Joe,

I also had this problem, but with my oil pressure light.

It is actually pretty easy to fix, but you do need to remove the speedo
from the dash.

Once you have removed it, the face of the speedo rotates off reasonably
easily. I found my one a bit stiff due to the rubber seal that had
disintegrated with age. With the face off, you can undo two screws at the
back which allow the meter assembly to come out of the case. From here it
should be fairly simple to either glue or reinsert the gem as required. I
ended up supergluing it (at least I know that bit of the car won't fall to
bits in a hurry!!).

A couple of notes of caution though. Because of delicate nature of the
instruments, I suggest you do this job on a clean surface (I did mine on
the kitchen table when she who must be obeyed was out!!).
It is a good opportunity to clean in the inside of the instrument lens and
wipe away any dust. However, be wary as the lettering is water soluable!

The instruments on the TR6 are quite well engineered so you should find
that everything will come to bits quite easily without having to force it
(perhaps excepting the face and bezel which may be a bit stiff like mine).

Hope this is helpful

Cheers
Bernard Robbins

'71 2500 PI (@#$% powersteering playing up now)
'73 TR6 PI (awaiting recovered seats...)

At 16:50 7/04/2001 -0700, Dale Morgan wrote:
>   Joe
>
>   Paint the bulb green that is in the speedometer.
>That is if you don't want to take out the speedometer
>and come completely disassemble the face to get at the
>little green gem.
>
>   Dale
>

>--- "J. Campbell" <jcampbell@bellsouth.net> wrote:
>> okay, got the new cokers mounted this afternoon. The
>> tire guy sure had a hard
>> time getting tires that had been on their rims for
>> 25 years off.
>>
>> New problem - while driving home I noticed the
>> little green gem turn signal
>> deal in the speedometer has separated from the face
>> and is floating inside.
>> Any ideas how to get it back into the hole ? I was
>> thinking of devising soime
>> sort of hit the bump while going down a steep hill
>> game; but I am sure there
>> is a less dramatic solution.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Joe Campbell