Stuck Head

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Stuck Head
From: "Dan H. Detweiler" <dandet@alltel.net>
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2001 18:23:46 -0500
O.K. folks, I could sure use your help on this one. First a little background.
I have a 1970 TR6 that is beeing completely restored. The entire car is
stripped down to the shell with the exception of the engine and transmission.
In short there is no way I can crank this thing. I am getting ready to pull
the engine and ,as was suggested, I loosened the main dog bolt first, no
problem. I was then going to remove all the rocker shaft bolts and head bolts
to make things easier once I had the engine out. Big problem.

The head and its bolts are stuck. I first soaked them for three days with
blaster PB. I was then able to remove the 7 bolts that are under the rocker
cover using the double nut trick. The other 7 refuse to budge. I think I
stripped the upper threads of the studs in the process. Like I said earlier,
there is no way I can use the starter to break the seal of the head. Should I
go ahead and pull the engine and try to get it off from the bottom? I can't
tell if the gasket is holding it together, or if the studs have frozen to the
head and/or block. HELP!!

You guys have been great in the past, I am sure one of you must have some
words of advise. Surely there must be some trick out there I am missing. It
almost makes me think I forgot some hidden bolts or something but I don't
think so.

Once again, thanks in advance.

Dan Detweiler
CC 51639