compression pressure

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: compression pressure
From: SEBroerman@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2000 16:17:09 EST
Hello sixers:

After 11 years of owning my '72 TR6, I have just done a compression check. I
measured 155,150,145,150,155 and 150 psi. The problem is,
what should the compression be for a 72?  I know the Bentley manual
says that all cylinders should be within 10 psi, and that the compression
ratio for a 72 is 7.75:1.

I found in the archives a formula that states:
cylinder pressure=(compression ratio times 14.7) plus 19.7

Therefore the cyl pressure should be 133.6 psi (?)

Does anyone know the significance of the 19.7 figure? I know that
the 14.7 is atmospheric pressure.

As far as I know, the engine in the car is stock. Thanks in advance
for the help!

Steve
CC75294L