Re: Reflector of left taillight

To: "P.J.T. Alferink" <Fam.Alferink@Zonnet.nl>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Reflector of left taillight
From: Mike Neuhaus <TR6@thejerseysite.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2000 06:31:30 -0700 (PDT)
--- "P.J.T. Alferink" <Fam.Alferink@Zonnet.nl>
> wrote:
>I have two questions for the list.
>1. My reflector insert that is part of the left taillight disappeared. It
>seems the glue (or weld) of this insert gave up after 27 years. Does anyone
>have a spare insert that he/she is willing to sell/donate?
>2. When accelerating fast, the car veers to the left when changing gears. Is
>this the beginning of the end of the rear suspension? Merely normal flex of
>the car? Torque of the engine?
>The phenomenon appears to be worse after having upgraded the front
>suspension and rubber engine mounts.
>Pim                        v

Hi Pim,

   One of my rear reflectors disappeared about 10 years back and if I remember
correctly, the part was available new. . .I'ld check around.
   The annoying rear end steerage you mention is likely  the sliding splines at
each rear axle halfshaft temporarily seizing under load. These units are
nowhere near as efficient as modern cv joints and thorough, regular greasing is
necessary. I fitted grease nipples to quicken the job. Also consider fitting
harder trailing arm bushes. The stock ones are really soft and allow far too
much geometry change.
   Hope this helps.

Mike