Re: Motor and tranny are out

To: KTnKT <ktnkt@cape.com>
Subject: Re: Motor and tranny are out
From: "Theodore R. Stevens" <stevens@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 12:15:15 -0400
At 11:16 PM 8/23/00 -0400, KTnKT wrote:
[snip]
>Someone on the list pointed out a great article on clutches written by a
>member of the Minnesota Triumphs Car Club in which it was pointed out
>that Borg & Beck pressure plates may not be the way to go, and advised
>to use the Laycock instead. Tonight I pulled out the B&B and found a
>used Laycock in my pile of spare parts. Would I be wise to clean the
>rust off this pressure plate and go with some other clutch disc and the
>Landcruiser throw out bearing ? Are laycock clutch discs still
>available?
[snip]
>From what I remember of that article, it appeared the author had a problem
with the *heavy dury* B&B clutch. Laycock clutches are still available, but
they're now LUK brand. I'm fairly certain you can mix and match pressure
plates and discs.  I replaced my original Laycock clutch with a Borg &
Beck, and the friction discs look essentially identical.  You might also
want to look into a Sachs brand pressure plate for a SAAB 900. That's
what's used in the TRF "magic clutch" kit, along with the Toyota TOB.
---
Ted Stevens
stevens@erols.com