Re: Windscreen chrome trim replacement

To: "6packlist" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Windscreen chrome trim replacement
From: Peter Macholdt <pmachold@pluto.njcc.com>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 14:13:06 -0400
John,

Unroll the trim and let it sit in the sun for a couple of weeks.  When
you install the trim, make sure the 2 ends butt together (ie don't leave
any gap).  The bridge piece will hide a little shrinkage but not enough
to accommodate the trim right out of the box.  It needs to shrink some
before it is installed.

Alternatively, you can install the trim and leave about 4 inches overlap
sticking out.  I did this and waited about 6 months to cut it to the
finished length.

Peter

>Anybody have any advice for replacing the chrome trim on the windscreen? I
>have heard that the material shrinks, and the gap at the bottom then spreads
>to a length that will no longer be hidden by the little trim piece. The
>replacement seems straightforward enough. I'm assuming I'll need some
>lubricant to make the trim piece enter the rubber more easily, like Amorall
>or something similar.
>
>Regards/John Truttman/TR6/Santa Cruz

Peter Macholdt
609-466-2127 Phone